Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars

The Fault In Our Stars


Prompt: Indirect and direct characterizations.


         I am doing indirect and direct characterization on Hazel Grace.  On page 159 on paragraph 3 it says "I did indeed wear the sundress-this blue print,flowery knee-length"... this is direct characterization of her being happy because she is going  because it show what see was wearing at the time being and she want to look nice for the dinner with Augustus.  On page 3 she narrated "Late in the winter of my seventeenth year..." which is a direct characterization that  show how old she is during the time of the book. On page 150 it says "I found the gore a bit gratuitous, so I looked away for a second..." this is an indirect characterization because it shows that see does not like to watch violence and gore.  On page 3 it says "Depression is a side effect of dying." and "But my mom believed I required treatment..." which is a direct characterization because it states that she is depressed and is dying of cancer.



           Now I am going to do direct and indirect characterization on Augustus Waters.  One page eight and nine it says "Long and leanly muscular..." which a direct characterization because it describes what he looks like. On page nine it states " Mahogany hair, straight and short." this is a direct characterization because it tells you how his hair looks. On page 11 Augustus said " I'm just here today at Isaac request." which is an indirect characterization because it shows that he is nice enough to go with his friend to a cancer support group. On page 12 he said "I fear oblivion" which is a direct characterization because it show you that he fears not being aware.



         Finally I am going to do direct and indirect characterization on Isaac. On page ten it states "I am seventeen..." which is a direct characterization because it tells you his age. On page 61 it says " Suddenly Isaac started kicking the crap out of his gaming chair..." which is indirect characterization because it does not tell you he is mad but you can inference that he is do to the fact that he kick the gaming chair. On page 73  Hazel says " I mean,he's blind. So that's unfortunate." which is a direct characterization because it tells you that Isaac is blind and is not implicit.  One page 132 Isaac says "Deception, Isaac said.  One player or two? Two Isaac said." this is an indirect characterization because it show that even though he is blind he does not stop that from having fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment