Thursday, May 5, 2016

Tuesdays with Morriie Socratic seminar

           The past four Socratic seminars have helped me with the understanding of Tuesdays with Morrie as certain parts of the book I had trouble interpreting. Morrie tells Mitch a story as Morrie and Mitch are having one of their Tuesdays. The quote between pages 179 and 180 Morrie says, "All waves are going to be nothing! Isn't it terrible? The second wave says 'No, you don't understand. You're not a wave, you're part of the ocean." Which I did not understand until our Socratic seminar. The meaning of that story is that even though we will all die we are still part of a greater cause. This showed me that even though we will die and what we do you might not stay forever we are still part of the world helping the greater good.



          One of the big trends that I found in my work durning the Socratic seminar was that every Socratic seminar I was having more and more trouble talking. I was having trouble talking, because more and more people were talking. Another reason that I was having trouble talking was that the conversation was flowing much quicker which made it hard to talk. To solve this problem I will have to be more aggressive and quickier to start my own conversation.  I as well have to be more attentive to the situation, so that I am able to jump into the conversation. 


   One of the biggest trends that I found during the Socratic seminars was that many of the same people were talking through out the conversation. This became a problem as those same people seemed to be talking with each other and not bringing others into the conversation.  When I tried to get into conversation I would be cut off by some of the same people that were talking early.  I saw this happening to the people sitting next to or those that I could see. A way to fix this would to get the people speaking to past the discussion to those that have not talked during the seminar. 



No comments:

Post a Comment